PEA PORRIDGE GREEN
This part of the town at the junction of Church Row and Cannon Street is shown on Warren’s 18thC map of the town as Pease Porridge Green. The s in Pease deliciously looking like an f! It is also listed in Barnett’s modern day street atlas of Bury.
The savoury dish pease porridge is more of a northern dish similar to pottage consisting of split yellow peas, boiled legumes and ham or bacon. The traditional children’s nursery rhyme ‘Peas porridge hot’ is accompanied by a clapping game.
A row of six houses 28-33 Cannon Place now overlooks what was once the green. The Suffolk white brick Place was built by William Steggles and Son (also William) in 1825. Plaques at either end testifies to this, also that William senior was 79 when he died in 1834. These were major builders of the 19thC responsible for low cost housing but also municipal works such as The Thingoe Union Workhouse and Eastgate Bridge by William junior. At No.33, (Church Row end) is a redundant shop and at No.28 the premises once of Joseph Frewer and his son, bakers and confectioners. When this ceased as a bakery it became a very good vegetarian restaurant, The Chalice. This was followed by two short lived restaurants Mamma Roma and Tiramisu before reverting to its original name and new owners for a time. The arrival of the current owners Justin and Jurga Sharp in 2009 heralded a new beginning for Bury’s ‘foodies’. Their aptly named Pea Porridge restaurant one of the town’s finest. A recent makeover still incorporates Mr Frewer’s oven, though only as an unused attraction.
A Ginkgo Biloba tree planted in 2011 opposite The Old Cannon Brewery by The Bury Society to celebrate their 40th anniversary is now growing in the parking area, a welcome addition to what was once was the Green!