Tayfen Road | Hazells’ Histories
As its name suggests this was a waterlogged area, The Tay a stream emanating from springs in the area off Spring Lane, none now visible. Osier beds were once here the young flexible willow twigs invaluable for weaving into baskets. This was also a place of execution in days gone by. In 1834 a Hull based company Malam & Peckston were contracted by the Bury Paving and Lighting commissioners to provide gas for street lighting and housing. After only a few months the firm folded but a consortium of local business people took over, the street lighting making an amazing difference to parts of the town. On the corner with Station Hill a beerhouse opened in 1857 called The Segment after its curved shape; it would become The Ipswich Arms in 1864. After the millennium, it was in need of rejuvenation and investment; it had an internal makeover and also two separate radical name changes, The Gaff and Bar Curvo. The only gaff made was giving this traditional pub, ultra-modern names! It is now back on track as The Beerhouse, with an entrepreneur owner having a microbrewery producing real ale. Nearby, the demise of another pub, The Royal Oak, preceded the much vaunted Bury Inner relief road which was to run from Northgate roundabout to Western Way. Many properties were blighted along the way including Tayfen Terrace. With demolition looming these Victorian cottages were saved when the road idea was scrapped, their restoration received an award in 2003. Businesses have come and gone in Tayfen Road, The Gas Works with the last gas-holder of three demolished in 2016, The Lucky Break snooker club in the old T H Wenn & Co maltings, Grafton Harvey clothing factory and various garages. Vision 31, the master plan for the future development of the town will transform Tayfen Road beyond recognition.
The text on this page is taken from pages 80 and 81 of the book written by Martyn Taylor, published by Amberly Publishing 2016.
If you wish to continue the journey through the streets A to Z of Bury St Edmunds, or indeed read more about the history of Bury St Edmunds, you can purchase Martyn’s book from St Edmundsbury Cathedral shop, Waterstones and Moyses Hall.
Look out for the next instalment next month, or subscribe to our newsletter to be notified when Hazells’ Histories returns!